Re: cells and chloroplasts (depicted on the color wheel)

Jim Hawes wrote:
> Mary,
> I think you meant to ask is yellow (distinct from white as a color
> characterisitic in hosta leaves) caused by mutations? IMO, it is at one
> point in time. This opinion has been artfully expressed in the Hosta
> Color Wheel designed by Bill Meyer. This graphic color wheel, a tool to
> more accurately define colors on hostas,  has three pie-shaped segments
> with shades of green, white and yellow, which are the colors of
> representative tissues as determined by the presence of green
> chloroplasts, colorless leucoplasts and carotenoid pigments associated
> with plastids. The basic concept of the color wheel is that the
> proportions of the populations of various plastids and their mix in
> cells and tissues determines their colors as we perceive them.
Jim and all
I have another question about the way "color" arrives in patterns on the
Hosta leaf.  It centers around associated color on the petiole .  In the
many plants that this is present, It seems to carry right down to the
basel tissue and , of course , is present on both "stable" color forms
as well as "unstable" ones.  My question revolves around the varigated
plants, that have all green (or solid color)Petioles.  why the
difference? Is there really "some color" buried in a layer we don't see?
Could that also be true in some apparently "all green" leaves?  Could
that account for the "rare" apperance of varegated seedlings, from an
apparently all green plant?  I have always thought that when the above
takes place, there must be some "instability" in the plant, that simply
dosn't show.  I have right now two plants I have "selected out".  These
are both in their fifth year.  They both have "unstable" streaked color
in the center of the leaf. One, Wildfire, has streaks up on the pods,
and sets seed.  What is intresting about these plants (not related) is
that both have a solid , relitivly wide margin.  In the four plus years
I have grown them , nether plant has produced a color pattern other than
the "normal" as discribed.  I hope I am on to the "stable, streaked "