How would you take care of it?

Hi folks,
I just received a single new piece of a hosta I had ordered.  The piece
looks to me to be a new shoot, a couple of inches high, the same width.  It
came to me potted.  When I took the plant out its pot, I found the little
piece of crown that was attached to it rotting...mush.  This plantlet has
about 4 little roots attached to it, from 1 inch to 2 inches long.    The
rotting area has a single 5 inch root.
How do I go about handling it?  Should I treat it with anything?  Do you
think I should keep it potted?  If yes till when?  I really need help on
this, cause it came with no guarantees, and cost me a bundle.  I would have
a fit if it died!
Quebec, Canada