Re: No club discussions?

Dean Sliger wrote:

> I would also point out that with a few people, based on what they've
> written, the main complaint with the "preferred grower" program is that
> they are not included.  I can't help but wonder what their feeling would
> be toward this ill-advised program if the circumstances were different.

Your little dig at those of us who are complaining about the program indicates
only that you have no idea what the argument is about.  That's just fine.  If
it doesn't affect you, you have no need to involve yourself.  You also have no
need to insult those of us who are involved in the discussion.  Anyone can be
a preferred grower, even you.  Those of us who are "not included" are not
included by choice, not because we aspire to something we cannot have.

The only criteria for being a preferred grower is that you agree to let the
AHS tell you what varieties of hostas you can and cannot grow.  And since
their presumption is that if the society is successful, most hosta growers
would want to be preferred growers, the AHS would be able to determine which
hostas are available even to you who are not members.

> There seems to be this delusional view by some people that the AHS and the
> hosta growing hobby are one in the same -- they are NOT.  The AHS is just
> one aspect of the hosta hobby, one in which many (MANY) of us choose not
> to participate, often because of the petty politics.  Many thousands of us
> (more when one considers the greater world beyond the U.S.) grow and enjoy
> hostas with no interest in or concern for the AHS.

I have yet to see one question about growing hostas that was not answered
because some of us were too busy talking politics.  Those of you who have
questions and want to learn have access to some of the most experienced hosta
growers in the country on the robins.  I doubt that some of these people are
going to spend much time here if all they are allowed to discuss is "when
should I fertilize my plants".  Read the messages that are of interest to you
and ignore the ones that aren't.  It's not that difficult.

If you are in to telling people what they can and cannot discuss, maybe you
should join the society and run for office.

> If "Hosta-Open" is a place where "discussion" of AHS politics is
> permitted, then something should be added to that effect in the
> description of the list on mallorn.com so that those not interested in
> such "discussion" can avoid joining this list.

Check out the line at the bottom of this page.