Re: Christmas Rose?

Andrew:

>It is very unfortunate for the Hosta research community, however,
>when we lose the focus of any researcher.  We don't want people
>moving AWAY from doing research on this plant, but toward it!

I too would like to see Ben stick with more hosta research, but at the
same time I wish he would be more cooperative in reporting on his
results and not jump to sloppy conclusions so quickly.  Ben has a lot
to offer because of his molecular and biochemical genetics background
and the research facilities that he has available, but he also has a
lot of weak spots in understanding botany and horticulture.

I'm not sure just what the problem is with getting an article
published in the Hosta Journal, but he has had other articles
published, so no one is discriminating against him.  The problem with
Ben's articles is his extreamly poor english.  I've done some work
rewriting some articles for the lily society for some Germans, and
it's difficult to do.  In Ben's case you have complicated science that
the reviewers don't understand well combined with his poor english.  I
could easily see where it could take 6 months or more to work out a
suitable manuscript.

Joe Halinar