Re: Research-Delete if not interested

Hi Bob,
RE:>>  I considered you were right on the edge of flaming Barbara and Jim
publicly in just the last few days and I do delete alot.
That HTML tag stuff?  Jeepers, you send user tips through all the time and I never see those comments as a flame.  Interesting...

There were several less than flattering remarks stated recently about someone who has done some rather intensive research, and I have at least one of his published articles (the scientific version) in my possession.  I have read this research with a trained, critical eye (the last time I did histology and staining work was while doing physiological psychology research in 1977, but admittedly it's been a while).   I have read and re-read this research and the conclusions I can draw are, 1) to accept the conclusions drawn by the author, on face value, without any challenge simply because I do not possess sufficient knowledge to be able to reject the conclusion drawn, or 2) reject the conclusions, but to do so mindlessly because I have no conflicting findings (but who needs evidence because I'm simply satisfied with someone else's mildly derogatory statement as being fact--kind of like "who needs to count the ballots?"), or 3) I can try to train myself on some of these procedures, possibly making an attempt to duplicate the experiment and get a jump on the ploidy conversion work that I expect to be doing later this spring, and will ultimately need to be able to verify before applying for any patents.

I've started searching through Universities in Iowa looking for someone with Flow Cytometry equipment.  I've gone through UNI and Drake but neither have this specific equipment, but I do have an appointment at ISU for later this next week that seems promising.  While you guys are taking swats at me for being inquisitive about how people can challenge the work of another without providing contradictory facts, I'm hoping to learn about Feulgen microspectrophotometry and flow cytometry so that I can test for ploidy conversion on my own, then attempt to repeat the experiment.  Subsequently I will either support, refute, or come away with no hope of ever accomplishing the objective, then learn to be content to send plants to The Netherlands for DNA analysis.  To date, I am aware of only this one human being who is doing this kind of work, although I keep asking if anyone knows of others.  Ben Zonneveld is that man.  I haven't read an article from Gary Trucks, or Joe Halinar, or anyone else except Ben.  I'm more than willing to ready ANY, but I'm just not aware of those at this time.

Now if you want to get hung up on my linguistics or any obfuscation, which I can assure you I would enjoy,  you're entitled, but I guess if Jim thinks I'm being a butthead, I would imagine that he would tell me.  Now are we going to make an effort to learn something about Hostas on this forum or should I just drop out while you fellas support this inflammatory rhetoric (on both sides), make accusatory statements, and enjoy the humor of taking one-liner pot shots?

BTW, the closest Epics Elite Flow Cytrometry equipment I know of is in Fargo, North Dakota but they aren't doing Hosta at this time.  There IS a Partec CA-II unit in Lieden, The Netherlands, apparently, but if you know of anything closer, please advise.  While Ben has kindly offered to do the analysis at no charge, the shipping expense and phytotoxicity certificate can get a bit steep... AND, I'd miss out on all the fun!

Andrew Lietzow