Yes, the Journal is running late

  • Subject: Yes, the Journal is running late
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 08:39:52 EST

Before I get a ton of questions about the timing of the next Journal (Volume 2 for 2001) I am sending the following message which should answer where we are.

As most of you know, The Hosta Journal is published as Volume "X" and Number 1 or Number 2.  If all is working well, normally, Volume "X", Number 1 comes out (is "mailed") sometime in late May, and Number 2 comes out in late December.  Depending on other publications like The Hosta Adventure, or The Membership Directory, the schedule can slip back or forth a couple of weeks.  Volume 2 for 2001 is currently in layout phase and we hope to have it to the printer by December 15.  Yes, this is behind the normal schedule.

You will soon be receiving a Membership Directory.  We have had some problems with the mailhouse chosen by the printer of the Directory.  We have now discovered that that mailhouse is in the process of going out of business.   As a consequence, we are about 3 weeks behind our normal schedule.  In addition, this has backed up our Journal Schedule as indicated above.

As will be discussed in the President's and Editor's Messages in the next issue of the Hosta Journal, the Board voted in October to do away with the Yearbook, place much of the local and regional related material onto the AHS Internet homepage, and provide hardcopy of the material upon demand.  As indicated this will be discussed in greater detail in the next Journal.

In place of the Yearbook, starting in 2002 we will be publishing 3 issues of The Hosta Journal.  After discussions with the growers group and others the "planned" schedule for next year's Journals are mailed by April 15, mailed by September 1, and mailed by December 1. These will be enumerated as Volume "X", Number 1; Number 2; and, Number 3.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Advertisers please note, Eva Jones will be sending out a new rate schedule predicated on the 3 Journal year, sometime in the next 2 weeks.  Watch your mail.

Kevin P. Walek