Re: Unregistered Hostas

In a message dated 12/8/1998 10:06:36 PM Central Standard Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< Deb,
 It's nothing to worry about. Just stick with this list and you will be able
 to find all of the hostas you ever wanted. There will be no net change in
 the hosta supply. The American Hosta Society is in the process of
 implementing some new rules concerning hosta registration and it has caused
 some debate on their listserve. It's almost as much fun as actually growing
 Only certain nurseries may carry unregistered hostas after 2001. They will
 be easy to find.
 Dan Nelson >>

Dear Deb and All,

Dan is absolutely correct. I am sorry if I caused some alarm. If you are not a
member of the American Hosta Society I shall be very happy to mail you a copy
of the article which details the new policy.
I think there will be a proliferation of sellers who will sell desirable ,
unregistered hostas. I am sending Gary Trucks and Chick some NR beauties. I
shall also now have a list of my own which shall include some of Patsy
Stygall's beautiful hybrids. She has no intention of registering them due to
the policy of the AHS. Neither shall I.

I do not have any comment on why the AHS has done what it has done. You might
want to sign on to ahspol@onelist.com (the URL is http://onelist.com) to
understand fully what is going on. You might also want to get the views of the
president of the AHS, Jim Wilkins. He is a nice fellow who supports the
policy. His address is hostadocta@msms.org
Also, another person who supports the policy is CH Falstad III. His address is
chf@macatawa.org--------CHIII is the vice-president of the AHS.

I am sorry to report that the LISTOWNER of the AHS Robin has had a serious
problem with her puter but will be back in business as soon as she can repair
her Commodore 64 unit. I understand this may be as early as tomorrow. I'd hope
we can all be one happy family of those who like the genus Hosta.

Clyde Crockett z5