Re: Unregistered Hostas

Ran and all robins,

"without registration , which is simply a recorded list of recognized
Hosta names and and descriptions, there is no guarentee, that the plant
you buy, under a certain name, is really what you will get."

	You made reference to a guarantee in two posts I have read.  This
statement has troubled me.  I am not criticizing your statement, just
not wanting to diseminate any misunderstanding. Even with registration,
there is no guarantee that a plant you purchase is in fact the plant
that the name is registered under.
	Registration is not guarantee of a correct purchase, it merely reserves
the plant name for the originator, provides a description of the
registered plant, and identifies that plant with the registrant.
	As for a guarantee that a purchased plant is indeed the registered
plant, it is up to the integrity of the seller to provide that.  If a
seller continually fails to supply incorrectly identified plants, then
he/she will probably not stay in business very long.  Although there are
a lot of people that are buying Hostas.
	The best way to insure a person gets the plant they order/purchase, is
KNOWLEDGE!  Researching the plant you purchase, seeing it in a garden
before purchasing it, perhaps even photographing it or seeing a photo in
the Journal for example.  Also if it is a sport, then find it on the
Hosta Wheels document so you at least have an idea of its leaf
pattern/coloration.
	A word of caution to the novice however.  Juvenile leaf patterns and
size will differ greatly from mature leaf size and pattern.  If a
division of a plant arrives with pointed leaves, but the mature
description calls for heart shaped leaves, it could be the correct
plant. If the description does indeed match the variegation pattern, a
green leaf with a wide white margin, but the immature leaf has a
narrower margin. The coloration and variegation patterns are fairly
consistant however and this also could be the correct plant.
	I favor the registration process, and concur with the AHS desire to
have as many plants registered as possible.  However, as a seller of
Hostas, I am concerned about what will happen to all the really great
unregistered Hostas on the market.  Hopefully the originators of these
plants will register them during the interim time.
Tom Micheletti
The Hosta Patch
Deer Park, IL