Re: new expensive hostas

SECK138@aol.com wrote:
> Why would someone one only run a limited TC culture?  Chris
On some of my varieties, I ask to be reimbersed adiquatly for my time
(sometimes more than 10 years)  in record keeping and prepairing a good
plant for registration and distribution.  Frankly the more I have run in
TC, the more likely I am to "flood" the market, and the less reward I
get for my efforts.  It is my intention to let those who aquire "rare"
plants from me, enjoy the value and rariety of the plant they have
purchased for some period of time.  Let me give you an example of what
is taking place.  Pandoras box, was introduced at the national
convention in Indinaoplis 18 months ago.  It sold for around 500.00.
The plant was , I will admit , several divisions.  By mid summer ,
plants of Pandoras Box, that were in many cases multi division, were
offered by the "holder, out of TC for a price that enabled me to , this
spring offer them for 45.00 @.  How must the original purchaser feel.
She /he had a moment of fun and soon watched the real value drop by many
times.  Why? Because not only did the price drop dramatically, but they
were offered in about unlimited quantities.  It is my intention not to
do that to a buyer.  I will limit my best material in most cases, to a
"run of about 100 plants.  Even these will be released slowly, as the
plants become somewhat mature.  Other hybridizers/producers are talking
about using this or some other method to protect their investment of
time and work.  You must understand, that in most cases (not all) the
large TC labs pay little or nothing for the plant they "run".  The
hybridizer in most cases gets nothing!  In addtion , when I , or in most
cases, anyone else sells plants from TC, no royalities are paid to the
"originator".  This is not a fair system!  It needs to change.  You must
consider that when you buy a TC produced Hosta, that has come from one
of the large TC labs you are also benifiting from a price structure,
that offers (usually) nothing back to the plant holder or originator.
You to "benifit" at the expense of the originator. Here at Eagle Bay
Hosta Gardens we are leaning more and more toward using and listing
plants , with the agreemant, that a reasonable portion will go back to
the "owner".  Hope this makes the situation , and my thinking on limited
"runs" a little clearer.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.