Re: Collectors Mentality Vs. Great Valued Garden Hostas

Daniel Nelson wrote:

>      How many of you have bought a $100. hosta only to see it for sale
> for $35 the next year. To me this is taking advantage the "collectors
> mentality" by hosta nurserymen.

If I bought a $100 hosta last year and it sells for $35 this year, I can
probably divide my older plant and get four plants to sell for $35.00 each.
A 40% return isn't that bad.  See, there are lots of ways to look at things.

I think that buyers and sellers seldom agree on what the price of most
anything should be.  Personally, I don't see anything outrageous about $100
hostas, whether I'm buying or selling, though I certainly wouldn't knowingly
pay that much if I knew that the price was going to drop dramatically in a
year.  It seems to me that people who are willing to pay big bucks for rare
hostas, just like any other rare collectable, should be willing and able to
do the research to find out whether the plant is worth it.  If you are
interested in buying an expensive plant from me, it wouldn't offend me in
the least if you called and asked if the price was likely to drop soon
because I or someone else was putting it into TC.

I went out to get lunch for Jennifer, Dave and me at the bagel place today.
Three bagle sandwiches cost me almost $15.  $100 is not too much to pay for
a good hosta.  Send me your money with a clear conscience.

Chick