Re: Seedlings

At 05:50 PM 12/03/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>The cost in working with the seeds is definitely high.  My problem is when
>you spend a large sum (say $150) for the plant and then next year its all
>over for ($20) it is a real shocker.  Also when you have a large area to
>work with it's harder on the budget to pay $150 for one plant when you can
>get several of the older releases for 30 to 40.
>I know that's the hazards of doing business.  When I mention that I'm
>looking for something not too expense I'm not complaining just trying to be
>enough rambling for now,
Kate you are completly right.  It is hard to see the plant you paid a high
price for, last year, selling at a fraction of the price .  Sometines, the
higher price has been paid for "Originators Stock" ( a piece from the
original plant)and the less expensive material is the tissue cultured
material.  Chick has said, just ask.  I encourage the same.  If you want to
know weather a higher price plant of mine is in tc, and if so, when it is
likely to be on the market, Just ask.  just a further word.  Mary said it
is hard for hybridizers to make any meaningful money on the new plants they
register, and introduce.  That is true.  tc and the resulting rapid
dispersment of hosta plants, has made this more difficult.  As things now
stand, there are no universial answers to the questions about "fairness"
here.  It looks to me like it may be sometime , before a "system" that
satisfies everyone is "in place"  For now I find most Hosta devlopers, and
growers, are really trying to be honest, and provide as much information as
they can, so buyers can make the best choices.