A Third Option?

Dan (and Jim and Chick and Marvin et al.)

All of you make valid points (and Chick, I'm happy to pay your prices if it
keeps you around), but let me propose a third option that's sort of in
between.."Trial Mentality."

I'm still learning about hostas..And that includes both the old standards
and the modern introductions. So at this stage in my addiction, I buy one
of everything that strikes my fancy. The idea is to discover which will
continue to delight me when they are 4 yrs old, in the wrong place ,
bleached by the sun, and shredded by slugs. I'm also interested, like Jim,
in finding out which cv's will survive Tennessee's summer heat and
humidity. And which are tough enough to survive my own incompetance.

I would love mass plantings, whether albo-marginata or Tattoo. But first I
have to fully explore my options before I invest in the money and labor a
mass planting would require.

OK, OK, I'm also a little bit of a collector.  :-0   But it's something I
fight every day in my life, so I have to come up with good excuses if I am
to continue denying my vice.