Re: Troublesome Hostas

In a message dated 12/05/1999 4:51:20 PM Central Standard Time,
Beautbug@provide.net writes:

<< What are the most troublesome hostas you grow? >>

I do not grow all of the following, but here are some that many consider
difficult to grow or at least get to increase in size:
H. 'Abba Irresistible'
H. 'Brim Cup'
H. 'Cherry Berry'  - Difficult for me.
H. 'Celebration'
H. ventricosa 'Flame Stitch' -  Reportedly more difficult in the North.  I do
not own.
H. 'Gay Feather'
H. 'Great Expectations'   - Best I have seen is in Bob and Sally Murphy's
H. 'Joyce Trott'
H. 'Knockout'
H. 'Northern Lights'
H. 'Reversed'    Several forms are in existance. (not sure who said this.)
Not difficult to keep alive, just difficult to get it to grow into a mature
H. tortifrons
H. 'Uzo-no-Mai'  Difficult to overwinter.

I am absolutely sure some people grow the above very well, but a lot of
people have trouble getting them to grow, keep from melting out, or

Ray Rodgers, Bartonville, IL, CIHS