Lysol vs. Listerine

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/9/99 7:53:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, BBROWNJ@aol.com
> writes:
>
> << I believe you mean lysol. >>
>
> Barbara, that sounds so simple, I wonder if there are any other benefits from
> using Lysol.  Sounds safer than a shot of diazinon.  Thanks, Narda

I wouldn't use Lysol. I've used, on my potted plants, a mix of 1/3 cup
Listerine, 1 tsp. Dawn dish detergent, mixed it 2 gallons of water to
rid the potting soil of fungus gnat larvae. Drench the pots with this,
let stand for one hour, then rinse with fresh water.
  I've never lost a potted plant this way, and haven't had fungus gnat
problems, since I started this.  I do this twice - one month appart in
application - when I bring my potted plants in for winter.
  Another thing you can use is mothballs - place a potted plant in a box
with some mothballs, tape up the box and let sit for 3 days.  This works
best with succulent plants that don't need alot of water. Don't put the
mothballs ON the soil, however.

Diane