Re: Auction for Hosta Library

At 07:29 PM 1999-12-12 -0800, you wrote:
>         Someone can install a auction program on a server but it might be
> a bit
>much for something like this. Either someone can just record bids or in
>a few days I can make a temp. site and add whatever people want to
>donate and then I can add the top prices once a day or something like
>that until it is over.

Bob ...I recall that a woman in Oklahoma, ran a 'Hosta Seed Auction' for
the Western New York Hosta Society, a few years ago.  I would think that
many dollars changed hands, from that effort?
          All she did was, set her e-mail filter to sort any mails having
the word " auction " in the TO:-Address Header, to be sorted into a
separate folder created for this purpose.
          As an example, and hypothetically speaking, let's suppose it was
run from here --  Anyone wishing to bid, could send an email Addressed to
"auction" <raffi@sympatico.ca> and filtering would put same into the
AUCTION folder/directory.  Very simple to co-ordinate actually!
          Having a list-server handle the auction, does create problems, in
that, some of the folks wanting to make bids, will have to join the
specific list-server first.  By doing it as described above, advertising
can be done on a great many Internet List-servers; and in light of this
being an OPEN EMAIL ADDRESS, where the sale the bidding takes place, then
potential bidders can be picked up everywhere/ANYWHERE?
          The two list-servers I control, are available for Auction
Advertising, but I do not wish to use them for the actual auction part of
it, since I believe someone's personal address will do much better!
          I think, the donators will have to ship plants to buyers,
directly from their own addresses.  You will require a mailing address, to
whom the payments will go, before plants are shipped?  I'm not sure if a
pre-bidding registration is necessary or not? ...but I feel it is not needed?
          If? ...you have nobody else, volunteering to run the auction for
you, my time on weekends is usually free; and I would love to give it a
shot, if we can find someone to start donating plants, seeds, books, night
on the town and/or whatever it is we wish to auction off?  And I
personally, I don't care where the proceeds go, and expect nothing to come
this way.  I do feel however, that the *item donator* should receive half
of the bid money ...call it 50-50 split er whatever; and this, in light of
the work involved to dig , package & ship/mail the bought items.
          I don't believe residents outside of USA, will be able to
participate in the buying & donation part of this PLANT auction, since
there is a whole riger'ma'roll of legalities involved in shipping live
plants across borders.  Live Seeds however, can be mailed anywhere on this
planet?

Just do it! ...why wait for spring
good luck &
  have fun
(the name of the game? ..always & evermore!)

:-B))
the'SHADOW'gardener
personal Web-site>> http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi
E-mail> "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Lettermail> 157 Harvard Road, Guelph, ON, CA N1G4L3
New Internet Seedling-hybridizers Exchange [nise discussion]
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise
Hostapix digital-image sharing group [hostas] >
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/hostapix
Norway Internet Seed Exchange/trading [NISE] >
http://www.iril.no/garden/garden/seed_bank.htm