[Fwd: Re: Full moon will occur on the Winter solstice, Dec. 22nd]

  • To: "charlotteg" <charlotteg@prodigy.net>
  • Subject: Re: Full moon will occur on the Winter solstice, Dec. 22nd
  • From: "Milton Whitmore" <serenity2@jackpine.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 07:35:59 -0500

A full moon will occur on the Winter solstice, Dec. 22nd.  For the first
time in the life of anyone around today, we'll see a full moon occur on the
Winter solstice, Dec. 22nd, commonly called the first day of Winter.  Since
a full moon on the Winter solstice occurs in conjunction with a lunar
perigee (point in the moon's orbit that is closest to Earth), the moon will
appear about 14% larger than it does at apogee (the point in its elliptical
orbit that is farthest from the Earth). Since the Earth is also several
million miles closer to the sun at this time of the year than
in the summer, sunlight striking the moon is about 7% stronger making it
brighter. Also, this will be the closest perigee of the Moon of the year
since the moon's orbit is constantly deforming. If the weather is clear and
there is a snow cover where you live, it is believed that even car
headlights will be superfluous.  In layman's terms: It will be a super
bright full moon, much more than the usual AND it hasn't happened this way
for 133 years!  Our ancestors 133 years ago saw this.  Our descendants 100
or so years from now will see this again