Re: Pro-mix (Was: Re: baking dirt)

Happy Holidays, Butch:

I understand your statement about the relationship of perlite to soil-less
mix lightness.  However, seeing and feeling a wet sample of the material goes
a long way.  I did some other quick and 'dirty' tests on this material to
know I wanted to try it in the garden.

It worked the way I anticipated it to in the garden.  Another feature was the
cost was not as expensive as Pro-Mix.

Around here, there are not any choices of the soil-less mixes except for the
standard large company brands.  Pro-Mix , I order from Mellinger.  What other
soil-less mixes are used and don't contain peat moss or fertilizer?  What are
their costs and who are the suppliers?

For potting hosta and perennials, if my back doesn't go out, I prepare a
mixture of peat moss, coarse sand, decomposed shredded pine bark, and
humus/composted manure.  I also use this in planting hosta, ferns, kalmia,
dwarf conifers, and rhodies.

Rich Horowitz