Re: Bat-faced Salvia (Was Re: Pro-mix (Was: Re: baking dirt))

Would you believe it is Christmas Day and I am outside checking stems
and reporting on the computer!!  My cooking is all done (started about 6
this morning, and I'm waiting on the rest of the family to arrive.  The
nursery sold it to me as bat faced salvia, and the knowledgeable
gardener in whose yard it was said it was bat faced salvia (maybe the
nursery was wrong and she ASSUMED).  It looks NOTHING like a viola.  The
flowers are very small, but exquisite up close and VERY personal.  Upon
examination, my salvia gregeii and my tall perennial salvia with the
bright royal blue blooms both have square stems (although the tender
stems of the gregeii cuttings are BARELY squaqre), but the bat faced
does not.  It's habit is not unlike those salvias, although it is
smaller.  The cigar plant doesn't either.  I KNOW nurseries mislabel
things, but this is a long-time nursery that is supposed to be about the
most reliable in OKCity.

Do ALL salvias have square stems?  I do a fair amount of garden and
nursery visiting and have never seen this plant before, is it possible
it is something new in salvias?  It's a neat plant, in any case.  Now
I'm anxious to learn exactly what it is.  I can call the nursery after
Christmas.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Betsy