Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #722

>I have a question about shifting of bloom time in order to get
>"unlikely" crosses. There are several ways to do this but the one I
>have a question on is delaying the blooms of early bloomers like the
>H. sieboldianas and the H. 'Tokudamas' to coincide with the later
>blooming fragrant varieties.

My approach to this problem is to leave the early bloomers alone (out
in the garden) and bring potted plants of the late blooming ones into
a greenhouse in early spring.  Depending on where you live, when you
bring the plants into the greenhouse and how warm the greenhouse is,
you should be able to get the late blooming ones to bloom at least 4-6
weeks ahead of schedule.  I guess you could also bring them indoors
and keep them in a sunny room.

I've also had some Golden Tiara bloom early for me in the greenhouse
that I used for some crosses and then without doing anything they
rebloomed later in the summer.  You might try bring the early bloomer
into a greenhouse, let them bloom very early and then see if they
rebloom later when the late bloomers are flowering.

Joe Halinar