Re: A Timetable for Hosta Care

or...is his schedule generic enough that these things don't matter that

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN

   If you look closely you will see that Bob's timetable does take the
growth phase of the hosta into account. Remember too that this timetable
was written by an attendee at Bob's presentation and not by Bob himself.
Bob elaborated quite a bit more than this outline may suggest. He spent
30 minutes or so on this subject if my memory serves me correctly.

     Your point that each cultivar would differ somewhat in their
optimal timing for fertilization is a good point. As a practical point
we still are stuck with generalizations unless we watch each cultivar
and fertilize on a cultivar by cultivar basis. Even then there is a
window where the exact timing is not critical. Things are further
complicated by the differences between slow release fertilizers, organic
fertilizers, foliar fertilization, soil fertility and last but not least
seasonal variations in the local weather.

Overall if we use a general timetable we should come close enough to our
target that little if any difference will be noticed. (my opinion only)

Then of course we have those folks that don't fertilize their hostas at
all and only rely on compost and/or their soil fertility. Alex Summers
falls into this category. Alex used Alfalfa 6 or 7 years ago and still
talks about his increased vole activity. Alex does not fertilize and his
hostas are somewhat smaller than you would expect for a given cultivar.
Yet Alex's hostas look great and were able to survive this past summer
during two months of drought when he was unable due to health reasons to
water even once. I don't believe hostas that were fertilized to the max
would have made out nearly as well as Alex's did. (again only my

I have a suspicion that high levels of nitrogen may lead to a higher
incidence of southern blight. I have no proof of this suspicion but it
is a factor in lawn fungal diseases.

Please take my fertilizer comments with a dash of salt. (Epsom salt,
that is)

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7