Re: Alfalfa Pellets X Files Version

At 05:35 PM 2/21/00 EST, you wrote:
>There must be another way of getting the nutrient benefit that alfalfa
has, to
>the soil in some other form.  Believe me, you don't want a vole infestation!
I've been using alfalfa meal as the nitrogen source in my late winter
compost piles for years. Usually buy the time I get all the leaves raked
and ground, there's not much in the way of green material around. So I use
a sprinkling of alfalfa meal. The one year I used pellets I think I used
too much and got some matting down and anaerobic decomp.

I also recall one study (I don't recall seeing a journal article, just
heard a presentation at a scientific meeting) that tested anti-pathogen
effects of compost using different kinds of parent material, and they found
the best results from piles with straw and alfalfa. Again, don't recall the
details, but I suspect they used whole alfalfa rather than the ground,
packaged product. I'll see if I can't track down the author.