Looking forward to spring

62 in Kalamazoo today. Amazing. I'm sure there will still be more snow,
but this weather sure is nice. I looked at my seedlings closely today
for the first time in a while. There are some real exciting plants up
and coming. I have several streaked Hosta 'Antioch' seedlings again this
year. I have a great cross of Hosta 'Little Black Scape' and Hosta
'Invincible' that is retaining the red petioles with the very shiny
leaves of 'Invincible.' There are some great open pollinated variegated
seedlings of one of Olga's hostas that I bought last summer. Can't wait
for my cross of 'Green Piecrust' and 'Cherry Berry' to mature. Only
three leaves are out and the piecrusting is already evident. It is going
to be a good year for these guys. Next week, the spring potting begins
to fill the greenhouses at a local garden center. Can't wait for that.
Only about 20,000 pots to fill! Even though there is still more winter,
its nice to have a break.

Mike Groothuis
Kalamazoo, MI
Soon to be Class of 2000 at WMU!!!