Re: Holly's Velvet Piecrust vs Niagra Falls?

Very different plants but both have good piecrust edges.  I would guess that the picture in the library of HVP is of a young plant, if the name wasn't there, I couldn't tell that's what it was. HVP looks more like the picture of Holly's Dazzler.  Piecrusting takes a while to develop. NF is a montana hybrid, large leaves, good veining, average color.  HVP is a ventricosa hybrid, much smaller, with better color.  The piecrusting is more prominent on NF because of the larger leaves.

If you already have Holly's Dazzler or Rippled Honey, which are similar, then buy NF. If not, I would buy HVP this year because it takes a little longer to show how good it is, NF next year cause you have to have both.

Chick

Cindy Johnson wrote:

Hi hosta folks,

I love dark green hostas and piecrust edges.  I'm looking at the
descriptions of Holly's Velvet Piecrust and Niagra Falls and both sound
wonderful in the descriptions of catalogs.   I've also looked at their
pix at Hosta Library (only one pic of Holly's though.  I sure like when
there are several pix of each).  I need to cut down my list of hosta to
buy this spring so I need your help here.  If I have to choose betweenthese 2, which one would best suit my desire for dark green hostas
and/or piecrust edge?  Or would you recommend some other hosta instead?

Thanks,
Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a