Re: Future Hosta Market WAS Robyn's Nest Nursery dot com...

> This wasn't addressed to me but I think it's a good topic so I'm going to put my two cents in.

Anyone who has an answer (or an opinion!) can share :)

> It depends on what you mean by "nursery" and what you mean by "make it".
> If you actually want to make a living at it, I personally think it's easier selling locally to
> collectors and landscapers than by mail.  Of course it depends on where you live.

Personally, I am looking at it from trying to make a living at it.  When
selling locally (which is mostly what I do) do you think you are more
limited?  Obviously, there will be some collectors that will pay for
more pricey plants, but most of the public isn't going to spend much on
a single plant.  What are some other things that would be done
differently in a local retail nursery than a mail order nursery?

I'm also interested in more discussion on growing for landscapers and
other resellers.  Jump in with any secrets you may have :)

> I wonder how many people who grow hostas seriously have it in the back of their mind, or maybe not
> so far back, that they would like to get into the business.  I'm not encouraging any more
> competition, but there are worse ways to make a living.  A lot of easier ways too.

This is a good question.  I bet the answer is more than we may think.

  ~~~      In The Country Garden & Gifts       ~~~
      Specializing in Hostas and Water Gardens

                Josh's Garden Web

         "There are always two choices.
        Two paths to take.  One is easy.
          And its only reward is that