Exciting New!

Hi Guys!

Guess What?   Region One is staging a HOSTA AUCTION!

We are working on it right now and hope to have the initial donations up and
posted today!

We want to thank Bob Axmear for setting aside a special place for this
benefit auction!  He has been a HUGE help to us answering technical questions
and we want to thank him up front!

There is a special section at the HostaLibrary in the auction area, and
there are details about the auction itself on a page we have added to the
Region One/ First Look website. Please go to our website first.

To whet your auction appetites here are just a few of the generous
donations we have so far that you can look for later this afternoon:

First and foremost------

 2 new introductions from the one and only Alex Summers.
These are proof that the master hasn't lost his touch. I've seen them and they
ARE GOOD ONES! Alex is recovering well from his knee surgery, thank goodness!

From our ROBIN FRIENDS, we already have donations from Mary Chastain of
Lakeside Maverick seedlings and from Brian Skaggs, one of the first, if not
THE first, of Xanadu Paisley!

Brand new introductions and OS of Alex Malloy's. Some of these have been
discussed on the pixlist after Bob scanned and posted them! One is

2 new introductions from Jim Hawes, who last wowed us with Parky's
Prize,         with wonderful names... as in H. 'Marilyn Monroe'

Never before offered OS intro's by Bill Meyer, the guy who designed the
competition.  Bill has been hybridizing for 7 years now and we're finally
going to see some of his "babies".

OS of David A. Haskell by David A. Haskell. This plant is unavailable in
other than the Northeast because Allen Haskell does not ship mail order.

I am donating OS that was dug from the gardens of Mildred Seaver and Eleanor
Lachman. OS of Mildred's Spilt Milk, and Streaked Diane Gray Dalton.
From Eleanor's garden, I have OS of Happy Valley and a streaked personal
breeder that Eleanor sold me known only as bbf 6. This may be a sib plant of
the Lachman breeder that Ran has in his breeding stock.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the growing list of donations that we
have taken in so far!  With the tremendous success of last year's
auction, we have used it as our model for guidelines and believe that we have
amassed an impressive list of offerings! We have had an overwhelmingly
reception of the First Look seedling and sport competition idea! It's time
has come!

We will be accepting any donations from anyone who would like to add to
the launch of this new endeavor and will continue to take donations
throughout the 14 days that the auction will be in place.  As soon as an item
is posted to the HostaLibrary auction site you may begin to place bids on the
All proceeds from this benefit auction will go toward First Look meeting
expenses. For more details on this check out the Region One website at
www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook. Be sure to pass the word to any other

you know who haven't discovered the Internet yet.

There is one MAJOR difference from last year's Library auction!... Because
the HostaLibrary auction site time stamps each entry with a STAGGERED CLOSE
time, we will be manually CLOSING ALL BIDS at 10pm Saturday February 17th.

The listed Library auction site closing times on each plant WILL NOT BE THE

Winners will be announced Sunday the 18th, and Barbara Jones will begin
notifying winners and donors with details on completing the transactions.