Re: 25000 genes

In a message dated 02/14/2001 2:54:35 AM Central Standard Time,
zonneveld@RULBIM.Leidenuniv.nl writes:

<< additional information on this.""
 I determine the amount of DNA in pg (= 10 to the minus 12 gram)
 1pg is 10 to the 9 basepairs so it is easy to calculate how many
 basepairs there are in a hosta with say 20 pg of DNA The number
 of genes in hosta is probably not much different from any other
 plant The number of genes in Arabidopsis has been determined at
 25000 So my guess for Hosta was pretty close!

I do not know if we can make these kinda of "guesses" and expect them to be
accrete.

For along time scientists said humans had 100,000 genes, but it turns out we
only have 30,000.

Plants have more complicated genomes than most animals and I would not assume
the number of functional genes of any plant.  Especially one that has evolved
from redundant chromosomes.

Paul