Re: Hosta Questions!

>I doubt very much that it would be of much use as a breeder, but it
>can't hurt to try.

One thing I have learned not only from hostas, but also lilies and
daylilies, is that you can't always tell what is going to be a good
breeder or not.  I've had plants that I though were really good plants
and I didn't get anything decent out of them.  I've made some lily
crosses were I wondered after I harvested the seed why I ever made the
cross in the first place, only to discover that some of my most
interesting germplasm has come from those crosses.  Sometimes a few
recessive genes can make a really good plant look poor, but you will
never know it until you grow some progenies from it.  One nice thing
about hostas is that you can start your selection process when in
weeks of when they germinate rather then having to wait maybe three
years before they bloom to tell if they are worth anything.

Joe Halinar