Re: Hosta Questions!

Chick:

>I doubt that most people have the opportunity to grow as many
>seedlings as I do, so it would seem to be more logical to go with the
>odds.

I agree with you that you have to make some decisions about what seeds
you want to germinate as you just don't have the time and space to
grow all of them, but sometimes you just don't get the results you
expect.  Kind of what makes hybridizing interesting.  Two years ago I
picked up some OP seeds from Waldenwest and planted quite a few seeds
in total, but I planted smaller quantities of a lot of different pod
parents.  This past fall I only picked up some seeds of Abiqua
Elephant Ears and ventricosa ‘Aureomaculata' as I got interesting
results from both of them the previous year.

Joe Halinar