Re: Discussion on Origin of Sports

> halinar@open.org wrote:
>  For example,
> > I have an all blue/green leaved sport of Great Expectations.  Now, can
> > I sell this as THE orginal sieboldiana Elegans?
> Hi Joe
>     Sorry the last one was mailed before I was done.
>     Would the above be considered a sport or a reversion?

Hi Bob,
     I thought I'd throw in my two cents on this one. You have to see the
plant as having two distinct areas (actually layers L1 & L2). On 'Great
Expectations', this is obvious because they are different colors. On the
plant it sported from they are both the same color. On Joe's plant, they
appear to be the same color, but without seeing it do we know? There might
be a slight difference in color, maybe only visible for a few weeks in the
spring. Even if the color is the same, the growth of the new tissue might be
slower or faster, leading to piecrusted or crumpled leaves. There may be
some other difference, like darker flowers, or taller scapes, any one of a
hundred small differences that would make Joe's all-blue plant different
from the one that 'Great Expectations' sported from.  These sorts of changes
are uncommon but they do occur. Even the wax on the leaf could change. I
have seen all of these happen. I bring this up to mention that what we see
happening with Hosta is a complicated and mysterious subject.
     So, to answer the question, if the new plant is the same as the
original one was, completely the same, it would be a reversion. I suppose
this could be determined today with modern science being what it is, but it
wouldn't be easy. It would probably be safer to call it a sport until proven
This is, of course, only my opinion, but I've been studying Hosta sports for
a long time.
     Another point that should be made is that sieboldiana 'Elegans' should
be considered a group of plants, not a single cultivar, as many different
cultivars have been sold under this name.
    Hope this helps.

                        ..........Bill Meyer