Re: a garden an asset?

  • Subject: Re: a garden an asset?
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 23:13:18 EST

Those in the Detroit area can attest to the situation today at 626 West
Lincoln, Madison Heights, my childhood home - many have heard my story about
planning your future for moves and death, from a gardening standpoint.

My father and mother bought the 626 West Lincoln property in 1949 - built
their house on one of 2 side-by-side city lots in 1950. Mom and Dad spent 20
years fortifying the soil in the remaining city lot for gardening, with leaf
mulch, mushroom soil and composted manure. By the late 1970's the garden soil
was great.

After my mother's death in December 1992, we had one last garden tour the
following July.  I moved most of the remaining hostas and rare trees/shrubs
to my garden in Delaware, as we put the house and yard up for sale.

Sure enough, the people that bought it weren't plant people - they took out
all the remaining plants and planted grass seed.

The side lot has a great lawn today, where one of the great hosta gardens in
North America was just a few years ago.
Such is life.

Nobody plans to fail - they just fail to plan.
bruce