Re: Using Genetics in Hybridizing ( was Size and crosses)

  • Subject: Re: Using Genetics in Hybridizing ( was Size and crosses)
  • From: Larry McLain <olemacdee@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:02:21 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Bill! I'm going to have to see about those past issues. I work out of town most of the summer, so I usually have a couple of hours available to read in the motel room each evening. I contacted Timber press for the release date for Mr. Schmid's new book and they told me October! Hoping to have his current book read while I a healing from my surgery. Larry

  Bill Meyer <njhosta@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Larry,
        I have the complete set too and I can attest that they do make for fascinating reading, and lots of it. It isn't cheap to purchase the old issues (I had to do it in two installments) but you do get your money's worth. There's tons of good information there, and it's great starting at the beginning and watching both the AHS and the whole hosta phenomenon developing with each issue. It's the chronicle of Hosta.
                                                                              ........Bill Meyer

Thank you Dan!  Are previous copies of the journals available for purchase? The next question, is Lu the one I need to talk to about joining the AHS?  I will definitely read Jim Wilkins piece on hybridizing, if I can get my hands on it! Larry

  Dan & Lu <hostanut@Bellsouth.net> wrote:

Larry,

Jim Wilkins wrote "Using Genetics in Hybridizing" published in The Hosta Journal Volume 23 number 1(spring 1992). Jim wrote an excellant article and IMO it is required reading for hosta folk interested in hybridizing. It just so happens that I was reading it this morning. Lu and I have two complete sets of The Hosta Journal and I'm making an attempt at reading them all........we'll see how long that resolution last....It's a lot of reading......but past issues are a real gold mine of information. Clyde Crockett was the Journal editor back in 92 and Vic Santa Lucia was our president.

Dan & Lu

Thank you, Mr. Zonneveld!

I was wondering why that H. plantaginea wasn't used in the majority of breeding lines, to get the large fragrant blooms. Now I see that there is a low fertility outcome, potentially. I would think that additional crosses could isolate the better traits of  H.plantaginea, but this would take time. Again thank you for any pointers that you may provide, for someone like myself, just starting in the habitation of hostas. I know your time is at a premium! Larry

  zonneveld <zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

Do You Yahoo!?