Seedling Tip Burn

  • Subject: Seedling Tip Burn
  • From: Larry McLain <olemacdee@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:04:40 -0800 (PST)

I think that I may have a possible answer to my problem with the leaf tip burns. When I water or fertilize, I always do so from the bottom up. After they are watered or fertilized, when I start to see moisture on the top of the soil, I remove the cups and place in another tray. I know, alot of extra work. Anyway, I haven't have any problems with leaf burn until I just came out of the hospital. Right before I went into the hospital, I watered all the trays of hostas by putting in a gallon of water into each tray. This was left there too be sucked up as needed. So, that should mean that there should have been enough humidity in the rooms. What I am thinking is that over time, the constant feeding with fish emulsion, has left a build up of fertilizer in the cups. When the water was left in the trays, that kept the cups continuously moist. So the seedlings were constantly being fed. Whoever thought that I had over fertilized was probably right! Thank you!  I could be wrong, but I think that if I back off on the fish emulsion for awhile, and keep their feet dry, that this should just come out of it. Anyone agree or disagree?  Larry

Do You Yahoo!?