Re: Daylily Vs. Hosta

  • Subject: Re: Daylily Vs. Hosta
  • From: njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:39:58 -0500

Hi Chick,
          Not surprised that you disagree :-), but what kind of theory is it
that says the only logical explanation is that people are nuts? You have to
do better than that!
          Look at a few things:
          1. At the big national auction it's rare that a nursery gets the
hot new plant. Almost always it's a collector that's willing to pay the
most. If a plant seems to have good mass-market potential (and how many
really do?) the big nurseries might chase it, but mostly now they are all
selling tried-and-true plain vanilla types. Name ten big headliner new
varieties coming out this year in big numbers. After 'Liberty'
there's.......uh,......... So the big TC guys aren't really waiting for
their chance to snag every exciting new plant that appears are they?
          2. The start collectors get by buying early is realistically 2-5
years as things work out if they get the OS piece before the plant went into
TC. And that's assuming the TC batch does well and we all know that not all
of them do. Usually a bad TC batch kills further interest in the plant by
the big labs. They won't keep experimenting trying to get it right.
          3. The number of new plants that go into TC yearly is far more
limited than the number of new plants being produced each year. They can't
get even 10% of them into TC. There are only so many customers out there and
TC labs are businesses that must turn a profit to survive. They can't just
settle down to doing a hundred new plants a year to see if any of the
customers will but that many new ones. You yourself said that at the retail
level undulata is still the biggest seller, right? As a retailer, how many
brand new intros do you want to offer each year? Ten? Twenty.
           4. Only certain types of plants are suited for mass-market TCing.
Nobody will ever TC 50,000 Sea Prize's or Fascination's, or slow growers
that need excessive care to do well like 'Tortifrons'. I think we'll see the
people who put plants into TC learn over time how to pick the ones that will
do well and start ignoring the ones that will be too much trouble. For
example: big-buck collector plants like the Lachman's 'Banana Boat',
'Falling Waters', and 'Cascades' did not do well in TC. Some plants will be
available from the TC batches, but not too many, because the percentage of
liners that made it up to gallon pot size was low. If you bought 100 'Banana
Boats' as liners, how many did you end up with for sale? They were from
when, two years ago? How many made it up to gallon size? Some of these
plants did so poorly that there's almost a collector market for TC problem
            5. TCing plants itself creates new plants. Every time a plant
goes into TC, two or three new sports seem to come back out. There will
always be more new plants than can ever be mass-marketed. McDonald's will
never have five hundred items on their menu, and expensive restaurants will
never be put out of business by McDonald's. People will always want things
that can't be had everywhere cheap.

             I don't think the collector market is dead. I don't think it
will ever die. I think there's a lot of confusion out there now, caused
mainly by hype about things like TC plants are always perfect copies of the
original. A lot of times they are, but not all the time. A TC plant sells on
the strength of what the original looked as a big plant. As we see more and
more TC plants that don't come out looking like that (the 'Captain Kirk'
example for one) I think we'll see a resurgence of collector interest in
really good forms. McDonald's burgers and Prime filet mignons just aren't
the same things and won't ever be the same price.

.......Bill Meyer