Fw: round up

This post is a response to a question Ken Marek asked me on another hosta listserve. Ken's question follows my answer. I know this is back asswards....but have you been following Bill's and Chick's discussion??
Subject: Re: round up

Hi Ken,
I use Roundup at it's regular mixing rate on winter weeds. I spray right over the dormant hostas.....but...this is before the pips are up. I use a back pack sprayer and if I see that a hosta has pips that are up an inch or so I'm careful not to spray directly on the pips. I've heard that these pips are fairly resistant to Roundup(Solberg)...but I'm not taking any chances.
I have never tried "to saturate a dormant plant" with Roundup. I don't worry about wind blown residue getting on dormant hosta pips...but I do worry about wind blown residue (drift) getting on other plants....like on young trees and evergreens....ferns...or anything green. Yes, even the cambium of young trees and shrubs can be killed by Roundup.
When applying Roundup I try to get the leaves of the weeds wet. Not dripping wet....just wet with no run off.
I have also mixed the pre-emergent Surflan with Roundup and applied both in one application. I use 2oz. of Surflan in four gallons of water...along with 11 oz. of Roundup in that same 4 gallons of water. I try to apply this 4 gallons evenly over 1,000sq. feet. If you do use the Surflan...make sure you keep your mix agitated well...the Surflan can settle in the bottom of your tank and your application rate will vary over the 1,000sq. ft. area. The Surflan adds an orange color and it's easier to see where you have sprayed. If you do use the Surflan you need a filter before your nozzle....because some small flakes of Surflan can and will plug your nozzle while you are spraying. A lot of good sprayer have filters built right in so you may have one and not know it. It's annoying to say the least to be all geared up with 4 gallons of mix on your back...and have your nozzle plug and spray a poor pattern.
It takes about four weeks for the effects of a winter time Roundup application to show. Have patience...as the temperatures go up...the weeds die down.
Try to spray on a wind less day if you can. It always bears repeating that proper personal protective equipment be used when applying chemicals....including Roundup.
Good Luck,
Dan & Lu
hey Dan .....

I know we have been over this before, but I have always struggled with
comparing the info from you zone 6+ and my zone 5 ......

you have previously indicated that you used roundup to kill over-wintered
weeds ...... yes??

I believe it is your opinion that it has no effect on hosta pips? ...... I
presume that means you have never tried to saturate a dormant plant ........

do you spray indiscriminately ...... or rather carefully ..... are you not
concerned with windblown residue?

when do you do it? ...... and this is the crux of the problem ........ you
probably are doing it right now ....... but it is really cold up here in the
frozen north .....we are having a few warm days......but still a lot of
frosts...... and I presume we are due for one final major storm ......

what is your opinion on how fast the roundup is taken up in this kind of
weather ........ if I had a 40 degree day ..... and enough time for the
roundup to dry .... will the plants take it up, perhaps slower than they
would in hot weather ... should I be doing it now, while I am sure the hosta
are still completely dormant .....

please try to put your self in my zone, and give me a definitive answer
..... as best you can ......