Re: species

In a message dated 2/21/02 4:41:25 PM, hostahill@msn.com writes:

<<

Hi Marvin, All,

You asked for other species lists. They are printed in my book under taxonomy
and under history. There is a list of sorts in Ben's paper, not yet been
verified. Most of the species extant are NOT available in commerce so Graves
will have a hard time getting them. The few schools that have some wild
collected hosta will not realease them because they are study material. There
will NEVER be a definitive list because taxonomy is forever changing. Just
read the history chapter in my book. There is hope, though, people are
working on this with modern methods and there will be a list one day which
all can at least live with. Patience!

W. George

W. George and all,

Thank you very much for your quick response to the species question. The
point that I wanted to make was that Mr. Graves had a impossible job on his
hands. Both in the matter that the plants are all not available anymore, plus
the problem of what constitute a specie.  It would seem to me that he would
wind up with a garden of mostly green hostas as many of the pretty better
ones have been reduced to cultivars for show purposes. Still, let him give it
a try.  I don't want to be a kill-joy.

I have been a student of your work "The Genus Hosta" since purchasing the
book in either 1990 or 1991 along about then.  Many hostaholics are familiar
with the condemned Lemke PDF files in which I have space where the Genus
hosta is described as per your Taxonomy section. In the reference section you
will find the listing of the pages where information can be found on any
hosta in your book.  You can bet your boots that the book is well worn by
being thumbed over looking up over 4000 hosta names.  I look forward to
purchase your next book which I understand will be coming our later this
fall.  Please do not be offended when I refer to you book as the 'Schmid
Bible.'  You have stuffed a whale of a bunch of information into those 428
pages. My winters work for the year 2002-2003 will be the processing of the
information in your new book.  I can hardly wait till winter get here.

Your humble hostaholic,
Lemke's Hosta Database
Marvin (Mike) Lemke