Re: Auction Discussion

  • Subject: Re: Auction Discussion
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 15:42:06 -0500

Hi Marie,
        Are you talking about a monetary donation? If so, please let Barbara
Jones BBROWNJ@aol.com know as she's the treasurer for the HostaLibrary, and
you can make arrangements with her. The HostaLibrary has no ties whatsoever
to the American Hosta Society, and none of this money will go to any other
cause than paying the operating expenses of the HostaLibrary.
        If you are thinking about donating or buying plants in the auction,
the proceeds will be split evenly between the HostaLibrary and First Look.
While First Look is affiliated with the AHS, money from this auction will go
to the (AHS) Region One fund which will be used to promote and continue the
First Look Meeting. Everyone is invited, and I hope you can attend, but I
can understand if you do not wish to donate to something so far away.
        Unfortunately, we face the same problems the AHS did with their
internet auction when it comes to non-US participation. Our government has
Phytosanitary laws that increase the cost of shipping to as much as $40 or
more. As donors ship themselves, this becomes a serious burden for them. If
we assumed shipping costs, it tends to defeat the purpose of the auction if
a donated plant brings in $30 and then costs $40 to ship. The AHS worked
around this problem with volunteers from overseas offering to assist by
picking plants up here and then shipping them on to people in their own
countries/unions. I wish there was more we could do, but we are just a few
volunteers shackled to our computers.
                                           ...........Bill Meyer