HOSTA TRIVIAL PURSUIT

  • Subject: HOSTA TRIVIAL PURSUIT
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:36:21 -0500

Dear Hosta Brethren:

I am interested in creating a Who-What-Where-Why Hosta Time Line for an
ongoing project for THJ. George Schmid's book has provided a lot of
material, as have a couple of other books and articles. I am looking for
two things.

1. What are the answers to any of the following questions? Are there any
suggestions as to where I might find the answer?

2. What questions do you think would be of interest to hostaphyles?

The following are a few of the questions I have gathered. At the moment I
have 60 questions, some silly and some pretty interesting (if there are any
answers) .In reality I am looking for questions which might well make a
great Hosta Trivial Pursuit.  Anyone with information and suggestions( some
suggestions may be ignored :-)) please feel free to share.  Also feel free
to add your own questions.

A. In hostadom who is credited (and when)with the discovery that streaked
plants can be counted on to produce some variegated seedlings?

B.  Who (and when) is credited with introducing the science of TC into the
world of hostas?

C. What was the record price paid for a hosta at the National
Convention?When? Who bought it?

D. How many registered hostas were there in 1975 compared to 2002?

E. Who is credited with  first putting hostas into serious mass production?

F. Who holds the record for registered hosta introductions?

G. What breeder has done the most hybridizing work with dwarf and miniature
hostas?

I. When was the first pie-crusted hosta put on the market?

J. What part of the perennial plant market (in dollar terms) does the hosta
occupy?

" When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156