My Soap Box - Danger Will Robinson

  • Subject: My Soap Box - Danger Will Robinson
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" hostanut@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:06:24 -0500

OK, so I'm doing my usual database updating and come across a hosta whose
description is a little unclear. And again, as usual, I go to the greatest
place on the internet, the Hosta Library to look at the picture, only my
mistake, I type in .com instead of .org.

I could not believe my eyes. Some joker has set up a 'referral' website called
Hosta Library. It lists links to other websites on various topics. They
obviously know that OUR Hosta Library gets lots of hits, and are counting on
people making the same mistake that I did. They are selling their website to
companies in hopes that we will follow the links to their clients sites.
Places like Pier One have subscribed.

I gotta tell you, it's made me angry. Makes me wonder if the real target is
hosta nurseries, and all this is just a cover. What kind of person does this?
Other than the obvious answer which is an opportunist. I just hope everybody
realizes that by using the links at this site, whomever owns it get paid a
commission. Makes me ill. What does this have to do with Hostas? Not a DAMN
thing. This is in my book, as bad as those dinner time solicitation phone
calls.

I know at one time there was a nursery that bought the name, and had it linked
back to the REAL Hosta library. Makes me wonder what happened there? We should
have picked up that as part of the library, I would have gladly donated for
it's annual maintenance fee!

Are there no ethics on the internet? I found this as offensive as some of the
spam we get here. Turns my stomach!

Getting off my soap box and kicking it in the corner!

Lu & Dan