Re: (no subject)

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

  In a message dated 2/23/03 5:58:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
  chick@bridgewoodgardens.com   writes:

     The yellow area is purposely not centered because we
     wanted to control the width of that part of the page regardless of the
     size of the monitor being used.

  Hate to say this Chick but on my 17" screen the right two inches of each page
  is hanging over and I have to scroll over on each new page to see what is
  there.

  Do I need to change a setting on my .......something?  Hummmm....scrolling
  over is a major pain.  N.

Narda,

Frankly I don't know how that could be but I'm finding that there are all
kinds of setups out there that just baffle me.

For those getting bored with this, I'm sorry to be talking about web
design on the hosta forum, but it's not like there's much going on.

Our page is designed to have a green margin on the left, 135 pixels, or
about 2", wide, that on most pages contains links to the catalog
sections.  The yellow area is 650 pixels, a little over 8.5".  That's a
total of 735 pixels, which should fit comfortably into an 800x600
resolution, which is generally the resolution setting that shows the
least amount of information on a page. Those two columns are supposed to
total 10.5" or thereabouts, and I don't understand how they could extend
that far off to the right on a 17" monitor even if it is set to 800x600.
I had (incorrectly it appears) assumed that most people with a 17"
monitor would use a resolution of 1024x768 because it shows more
information on the screen while still being very readable.  Using the
1024 resolution shows all of the page plus an empty border on the right.

Unfortunately, Front Page has changes some of the table width settings,
and these have caused the right hand edge to go slightly off page on a
800x600 screen, but I don't see how it could be 2".  Sometimes when you
change something on a web page with Front Page, it will make other
changes without telling you about it.  I don't know why.  I haven't had
time to check every setting on every page. Originally they were all
identical.

As to buttons buttons everywhere.  Anyone who designs a web page can
easily put buttons all over the page for any purpose whatsoever.  People
are constantly suggesting all kinds of things to make the site easier to
navigate.  Unfortunately, just about everyone thinks I should do
something different.  Buttons everywhere, links everywhere, search
engines, etc etc etc.  But I think one of the design goals should be
simplicity.  I have a relatively large site and I've tried to keep it a
simple as possible so it doesn't take any longer to load than necessary,
especially with all the graphics on the pages. And I just don't want
distractions everywhere on the page.  Did you guys know that you can use
the scroll bar on the left of the screen to get to the top in a
nanosecond?  How hard is that?  I hate to think what you do when your
read a real catalog and there's no button at the bottom to turn the page
for you.

Narda, I'd like  to know why there is so much of the page off to the side
on your monitor.  Side scrolling is a pain and we originally sized the
pages so it shouldn't be a problem, and hopefully I can quickly remove
the changes that have been made.  I'm just not sure that I can make it so
that it views correctly on every conceivable setup.

Chick