Re: Hormones

margaret@golden.net writes:

<<
 Regarding your posting 02/02/99 in which you discuss "roots and shoots"--Is
 there an extrapolation in here that explains why a plant size vs. pot size
 is so important ie: why a plant with a small or immature root complex should
 not be planted in a large pot--probably a meaningless question with an
 obvious answer--have always wondered about this since you cant find a bigger
 pot than ones garden.  >>

If you do not mind an answer not form Jim - I will take a stab at why a pot
will produce more roots than planting into the ground. There are two main
reasons for this.
1) softer soil for the roots to expand out in. many soils in the garden are
compacted from different causes.

2) Oxygen-the pots transfer gasses better so the roots can breath.

If I might also make a comment on the other post about Hosta growing in water.
Yes, I have had very good results with stem cuttings put into a 50/50 mix of
perlite and peat moss and put in a pale of water-nice fast growing roots but
they should be hardened off with extra watering when planting out.

Paul Henjum
Minnesota
zone 4
Specialty Perennials