Re: Hormones

In a message dated 2/2/99 11:03:50 PM Central Standard Time,
LakesideRM@aol.com writes:

<< Paul will you please stem cutting?

 Mary >>
I think you mean: Paul, will you please, stem cuttings?
 I had to go back and see if it was one of those posts that I do when I am a
sleep.

If there is a Hosta that I want to produce more plants from and I do not want
to cut up the clump I use stem cuttings for want of a better word.

It's very easy and works for most cultivars, In the spring as the clump is
emerging from the soil i add a layer of dirt about 2-3" deep and in
July/august I remove the dirt and cut the stems off at close the rhizome as i
can get. this tissue at the base  stem will generate roots. some times I just
put the stems in water for a few weeks but mostly into a mix of peat/perlite
that is wet and has a constant source of water.
By fall most all cuttings have rooted well.

On the hormone issue - I agree that hormones will not give you a better plant
than what the plant is capable of doing under optimal conditions, since you
are talking about plantlets from tissue culture, hormone treatment is not very
helpful. When a plantlet just sits I have the feeling that some kind of timed
cellular rest has been induced.  Instead of introducing PGR's It might be more
helpful to lower the ambient temperature to see if this might induce a
reinitiating of growth. Do you know if any studies have been done to confirm
this or denies it?

Paul Henjum
zone 4
Specialty Perennials