Re: Dormancy

Lesch, Norman A. wrote:
> Jim,
> I have tried a similar trick this year with seeds that didn't
> germinate after 6 weeks. The seeds appeared viable, plump and hard. I
> put them in the refridgerator for 2 weeks. I then took them out and
> put them in a warm, moist environment where I germinate all my seeds.
> Nearly all of them had sprouted within a week.

> Thanks!
> Norm Lesch
> Manchester, MD
Over the years I have heard this quite a few times.  I to have had
betches of seed from the same sources, that showed better rates of
germination , after refrigrating, that seed from the same batch planted
before refrigrating.  This does not seem to be universal , however.
Here is one more area where some "controlled " tests could produce
valuable infromation.