Re: Questions on TC hostas and Ran's balance

Hi John and Ran,

I also am interested in Ran's current balance :-)

On the subject of O.S. Vs. T.C.  We will soon have enough misinformation to
write a book.

What about this not so special case,   O.S.=T.C.  A lot of hosta cultivars
have originated in tissue culture.

Where do foliar nematodes, root knot nematodes, fungal disease of roots,
virus etc, fit into this equation?

I don't believe any of the above are passed through the tissue culture
process. In fact, tissue culture is used to rid many plants of virus by
using the part of the meristem that has out grown the virus to start a
"clean" explant. Potatoes have been cleaned of virus and strawberries have
been cleaned of "strawberry nematodes" by using tissue culture. The
strawberry nematode is the same nematode that we are seeing in hostas and
calling "foliar nematodes".

Of course the above pest could re-infect clean T.C. liners in the growers
greenhouse before shipping. This may give the appearance that these pest
made it through the T.C. process.

My spell checker tries to replace the word "explant" with "exploit". I
wonder is Bill Gates knows something we don't  ;-)

Additions and corrections are requested.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7