Re: Hosta Growth

In a message dated 2/5/99 1:26:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, ranbl@netsync.net

<< Chick And all
 I was growing Hostas in pots, for planting out, in the late fifties, and
 have been doing so ever since.  There is a difference , however between
 roots that have devloped in "artificial" soil mix, and the root systems
 of field grown Hostas. This can be observed by simply taking two plants
 that are growing in pots in the same condtions, and planting one out.,
 while leaving the other in the pot.  Take good care of both, and dig up
 the "soil grown" plant four weeks later.  I hope some of you will try
 this in the spring.. You will see what I mean.  No disparagement of
 potted hostas was intended.  After all I grow thousands in pots myself.
 We do , however use a mix that is a humus and soil combination.  To
 those of you who do not know ,there is a "raging" and ongoing debate
 between "field" growers, and "pot" growers, as to which is the better
 system and what differences there are in long term results.  I don't
 think any has really won in this debate---I (as usual) spend a lot of my
 time "straddling the fence" (always painfull) and will say that Chick
 has some good points
 Ran ( smiling) >>

Ran has expressed my point better than I. I feel going from straight
artificial mix to soil is stressful. I had a nursery for 30 years and also
grew  thousands of potted perennials, but I used a soil mix with amendments.
I agree that great plants can be grown in pots but only for just so long. Then
they have to be divided or planted. A potbound plant will have more trouble
adjusting than an activally growing one when planted in the garden. IMO and
experience. Am not disagreeing as Chick , as usual, has some very valid

Barbara Jones