Re: Hosta Growth

Ah, your diplomatic skills are showing.

Here's what I think.  Some people like bare-root, and some like container
grown.  And nothing will ever change their mind because that's is what they
have had the best luck with.  Back in the 70's when vegetable gardening was
the rage, I had a customer from New York who happened to buy some tomato
plants from me while visiting here.  She swore that she never had such great
results before, so every year she would stop while visiting and buy a couple
dozen pots to take back to NY.  I tried to convince her that she could find
perfectly good plants just about anywhere, but she was not about to switch.
(I wouldn't have tried to convince her if she was buying expensive hostas.)

I like container grown plants because I can be relatively certain that they
are going to bloom the first year in the ground.  I personally think that
getting that flower is the most important goal the first year, because
without it, next year the plant is probably going to have the same number of
divisions it had when you got it.  My experience with field grown material,
which is probably not the same as yours, is that the plants often do not
establish early enough to produce the flower.  Maybe its the way they were
handled, or where they came from, or maybe I don't know how to plant.  Just
my experience and my completely biased opinion.