RE: Hosta Growth

Hi Everyone,

After reading all the posts about hosta growth and how you should not be rough
with the roots when they are root bound in the containers I'm sure my neighbor and
I are breaking them up all wrong. We just take them out of the containers and when
they are really root bound I take a serrated knife and just hack off half of the root system
and then spread them apart trying to get as much of the potting soil off as I can and
then I plant them.  I do water them very well after I do this to them because they
are probably in total SHOCK from it.  I do this with all root bound containers Astilbe,
Hostas you name them  I do it to them all. I should not be doing this right?

Last year is the first time I have ordered hostas from mail order which was from
Bridgewood Gardens.  They came in pots and I could not believe the size of them
and they were not root bound but had a very nice root system and they all put on
very nice growth last summer.  Can't wait to see them come up this year. I will for sure order from this nursery again.

Thanks,
Vicky Cahanes
New Richmond,  WI
Zone 4