Re: Hosta Growth

Good evening all:

I have no studies, but I have noticed and read what Butch is saying is true.

Years ago, you used to dig a tree hole.  Make a pile of humus, peat moss, and
sand.  Put the tree back in the hole, which was a little bigger than the root
ball, and back fill with the new soiless mix.

Then came the same procedure, but putting a $1.00 tree into a $10.00 hole and
adding the soiless mix.

Now, we put the $1.00 tree in a $10.00 hole with the soil that was taken out.
Compost on top with mulch atop that.

I have tried using a soil mix that I make with soil, composted manure/leaves,
ground pine bark, and granite stone dust.  I have also planted my hosta in the
soil taken out of the hole.

I have not seen any difference in growth rate and the roots grow into the
surrounding soil without any problems.  The only difference I've seen is that
there are more earth worms in my mix.

Hostally,

Rich