Re: roots

I believe that you have stated that you grow all of your hostas in containers
because you have no room for a garden in the soil. You need to know you are in a
debate concerning hosta roots with people that have been growing hostas in the
soil and in containers for 20 and in some cases 30 years or more.

I quote you:
"As usual some people object to information as it shatters their old beliefs"

I think you are grossly underestimating the level of knowledge obtained by these
long time hosta growers. You have not presented any information that "shatters
their old beliefs". On the contrary, you have presented us with pseudo science.
Ben wrote:(in a previous post)
"1.Roots as they develop adjust to the soil they are growing in.
So in sand they make sandroots, in soiless compost they make
soilless compost roots
2.As long as the wrong roots are there plants have a hard time to
make new roots. "
The terms "sandroots" and "soilless compost roots" are terms you have created.
I have transplanted many hundreds of hostas that were growing in soilless medium
into my sandy soil. The "wrong roots" continue to grow and new roots grow also.
I have not found that the "wrong roots" are in any way hindering the growth of
new roots.

Ben, you need to stick to your area of expertise. You present yourself as an
"expert" on all things concerning hostas but your postings show otherwise.

It is sad that you believe you are presenting us with belief shattering
information. If you are not careful you are going to be like the little boy who
cried wolf. Your good hosta information is being mixed with your bad hosta
information making everything you say suspect.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7