Re: Heresy do not read on.--Questions

In a message dated 2/9/1999 8:47:02 PM Central Standard Time,
chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

<< Butch Ragland wrote:

 >  Wade has created a big container with promix OUTSIDE and waters and
 > fertilizes heavy pushing the plants like a giant container. High
 > maintenance, artificial environment that is only show.

 Jeez, I just can't help myself.  Lord knows we wouldn't want a show,
 especially if the only way we can get it is by doing everything wrong.

 Just a prejudiced, old fashioned thought from

 Chick
 www.bridgewoodgardens.com >>

Butch,

If we use your method, can we expect to get hostas to grow as Wade's do?

I have a problem with what is wrong with creating a big hole---is it that the
native soil will creep back in?

Since hostas will grow in practically any pH, what's wrong with using Pro-Mix?
Sure, they will grow in heavy clay---but not as well in clay that has not been
amended.

(BTW, folks, Butch grows beautiful specimens. Maybe the secret, after all, is
what Van Wade always said: The three things hostas need most are water, water,
and water.)

Nevertheless, I still advocate amendment with Pro-Mix and LARGE amounts of
fertilizers and WATER.

Clyde Crockett z5 (Stocking Up on Miracid & Pro-Mix & Praying for Rain Come
Spring)