From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: Agar to Soil: tc

>       Beth Arnold....I don't know!...what you are asking in the paragraph
of questions below?...but I love your style...i.e. a question mark at the
end of every thought?....neato?....yes?...bravo?
>       ANYWAY?....last year!...I recall?...James Hawes of Oakland Maryland,
offered to do weekend TC training sessions at his place, so I'd advise you
contact Jimbo, the Wizard of AWE's ...if'n you thinkin I'm jokin bout this?
>       Hope this helps you decide which way to go LOL
>---aka...Bill Nash-- in response to ------
>At 09:59 AM 2/10/99 -0600, Bethy wrote:
>Is it possible to set up a tc lab in the basement of one's home.  Is there
a kit I read about somewhere?  More questions: Has anyone done this, how
expensive is it, is it worthwhile, what are the pitfalls, successes,
failures or failure rate.  There must be some expertise on this robin that
could help all of us understand more about this technique and how it is done
or how to do it so we can educate ourselves.  Exactly what is meristem
tissue and what are the tissue/plant parts used.  How are they extracted to
place into the medium?  How many steps involved from cutting to soil?  I
read an article but still am not sure exactly what takes place.  Dumb
questions?  Not to the curious mind needing an education.  Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5
>ps...to y'all...don't listen to one word John Lanier says, bout how easy it
is to go from Agar into soil e.g. two weeks ago, I picked up 400 hostas,
still in the tc bottles, Stage 3.  Came up with a brain-wave to drop em into
vermiculite loaded plug-trays, to develope good root systems fast.  One
problem tho'...the vermicultie was old stuff lying around...pathogenic
fungus virus was present; and right now, the whole works is into Damp
Off!!!...see how easy it is to blow it :-( eh? <<<NOT LAUGHING OUT
>I guess?...it might have been easy, had I used a nice clean newly purchased
PRO-MIX formula....oh well...maybe next year?